fetching Latitude and Longitude from the GPS Intermediate driver, upon login, into an ASP.NET(vb) Mobile web page

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:52 AM
Hi,

Can some one help me plz?

This is the problem statement:

I have an asp.net page. When a client sends a request to that page thru' his pocket pc, he gets an initial login page.
Upon succesful login, the webpage should fetch the co-ordinates(Latitude and Longitude) from the GPS intermediate driver and post them to the server automatically.

How can it be done (it it's possible in the first place)

(all suggestions are welcome.)
Thanks in advance.,
Venkat Renuka Prasad
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2008 at 1:17 AM
That is impossible. A webpage doesn't have access to the serial port, nor does it have access to running .NET code on the client.

Instead create a webservice that adds points on the server, and create a dedicated pocket pc application (NOT a webpage) that talks to that webservice.
Jul 22, 2008 at 6:07 AM
Thanks for the reply.

But just like a browser can instruct a Printer attached to the client's device or a web cam through the respective driver, is there some way the code in the Mobile ASP.NET page can access the GPS output from the GPS intermediate driver?

I cannot find any information regarding this.

Can you suggest something so that I can proceed in this direction?

Thanks again in advance,
Venkat Renuka Prasad.

Coordinator
Aug 27, 2008 at 6:54 AM
This control has nothing to do with a browser, so it wouldn't know how to talk to a browser or its printer, and definitely not talk to a webcam via a browser. Regarding the webcamp You are probably thinking of ActiveX objects in the browser like Flash, which IMHO installs with a bit too many priviliges. If you wan't to do ActiveX, the .NET platform is not for you.

You could look into .NET applets, but I wouldn't recommend your approach. Its a huge security issue, and most likely access will still be blocked.

Bottomline is that I think you need to completely rethink your idea. Personally I wouldn't be using a browser on the pocket pc. You can get a much richer user experience through a Forms based application that talks to some webservices, and it would probably be a faster development cycle compared to doing this in mobile HTML.
Sep 1, 2008 at 7:17 AM
Thank you again Sharp for the reply :D

Can you please, help further....

I am aware of the Forms based approach you have been referring to. The problem in that approach is that we have to deploy the API on each and every mobile device that uses this application, and upon any future upgrade done on the API (which I am sure we'll have to do) will end up, with all the users (can be more than a 1000 users) deploying the latest version, or patch on their mobiles......
This would obviously be a painful procedure for our client. :)  

That's why, I have to go for the web page based approach, where in, the changes made will reside on the server and the client will just request for the web pages.

Sharp, I have another query. If a DLL file is registered on a windows mobile device, can an instance of the dlll class be created on the web page that resides on our server?

The idea is: "Fetching the GPS location of the mobile device" can be done thru a method in the dll class I have cited above..... The rest of the functions can be handled in the web page, once, the location is fetched.

My qsn is : Can a I create an instance of the Dll class in my web page, the .dll file of which is registered on windows mobile device ?

Thank you again in advance,
Venkat Renuka Prasad.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:58 AM
Edited Sep 2, 2008 at 9:59 AM
Hi Sharp,

ignore my previous post.

I have found a better and simple solution for this.....

The task was to make the mobile web pages location-aware.

I think you have heard of the Google's release of the new Gears API with Geolocation plug in.

http://code.google.com/apis/gears/api_geolocation.html  regarding the documentation of the same.

Regards,
Venkat Renuka Prasad.

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2008 at 2:42 AM

Regarding your deployment issue, I think you are making a big problem out of something that really isn't a big problem. The install can be done by accessing a URL through the browser, and any subsequent updates is can easily be made by making a simple auto update feature.

This is a proven method that by far most (if not all) others are using.
With your approach you still need to push and update Google Gears out all, and honestly do you really think you can achieve just as good, responsive and intuitive UI using Windows Mobile's browser?