This project is read-only.

Problem with USB

Dec 8, 2008 at 11:24 AM
Hi
A client of mine reported that when he is using COM to connect GPS and laptop, the solution works fine, but when using USB, the GPS position seems to freeze and not update, even though he has moved quite a bit. Has anyone else seen this?

Regards,

Magnus
Dec 11, 2008 at 6:02 AM
SharpGPS only supports COM.
It might be that your client´s USB device emulates a COM port - I have seen USB COM emulators whose drivers were very flaky.
Dec 11, 2008 at 10:23 AM
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this issue? Is it possible to change the emulator?

Magnus
Dec 1, 2009 at 4:12 AM

I have played with several usb gps devices and all of them do COM over USB, look in device manager and make sure you are pointing sharpGPS to the correct com interface. On vista, and Windows 7 machines I have had issues accessing com ports, but this just requires messing around with driver settings, or running application as admin to fix. (Running as admin is not recommended, but will work if you just want make sure the device works.)

Any GPS device which does not do com over usb also does not do true NMEA so it will not work with most tools or libraries out there.

Good luck,

Jmaxxz